Thursday, November 6, 2014

Episodic memory

When I was 12 years old I had a crush on the private detective in Magnum PI. I thought he looked absolutely dashing in a red sports car chasing the bad guys all over town. Al-maklumlah zaman tu bebudak lelaki di dalam bilik darjah kan semua muka berminyak dan berbau kepam apatah lagi selepas waktu rehat.

The actor in the series was Tom Selleck.

Fast forward 10 years to 2014.
*polite cough* I may have discounted a few years here. But please bear with me. I need my moments of self-denial.

Nowadays my favorite TV series on Astro? Blue Bloods.
Francis "Frank" Reagan is the Police Commissioner of New York. He was a U.S. Marine Corps officer and a Vietnam veteran before he joined the NYPD. He is a widower whose son Joe died in the line of duty, leaving him three remaining adult children—Danny, Erin, and Jamie.

Tinggi, hensem, mamat serius tapi kool, ada misai. Cip polis.

Otai tak otai?

I think he is the embodiment of perfect masculinity. He should replace that idiotic-looking Ken. And have me as the Barbie doll. Of course. The perfect couple. Dua-dua (Abang Tom dan saya) ronda-ronda keliling Pulau Hawaii petang-petang naik Ferrari 308 GTB kami. Kadang-kadang Abang Tom bagi saya drive. Tapi dia akan nasihat suruh saya drive slow-slow. Sebab saya kan tak biasa bawak left-hand drive ni. Tapi apa barang bawak kereta sukan (read: sports car) pada kelajuan 80km/jam kan?

Oops. That was my Magnum PI fantasy.
Back to the present.

The character Francis Reagan is played by Tom Selleck.

Eh. Tom Selleck LAGI.

I see a recurring pattern here.

Adakah mungkin kerana sekarang saya terpaksa berhadapan dengan sebilangan pelajar yang datang ke kuliah memakai jaket MFI yang berbulan tak basuh dan berbau kepam? Maka saya perlukan sedikit escapism? In the form of my childhood fantasy? Episodic memory?

Siapa nak naik Ferrari tu dengan saya sila PM. Tapi kena amek nombor ok. Dah ramai yang beratur tunggu turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment